Friday, August 5, 2022

Book Review of The Appellate Prosecutor

 


I was delighted to read a review of The Appellate Prosecutor in last month's issue of The Journal of Appellate Practice and Process (Vol. 22 No. 2 Summer 2022). The article entitled "Something Reinforced, Something New: A Review of The Appellate Prosecutor" was written by Tessa L. Dysart, Assistant Director of Legal Writing and Clinical Professor of Law, University of Arizona, College of Law.
Professor Tessa's observes:

"I have been teaching appellate advocacy for over a decade. Yet, when I pick up a book or article on the topic, I often find that I still learn something new in the reading. And, even if I learn nothing new, per se, in the reading, I find important concepts re-solidified, new ways to approach important topics, things I disagree with, and a reminder that practices and customs do vary by jurisdiction. The Appellate Prosecutor both taught me something new and reinforced familiar, but important, concepts. It is a book I recommend to any appellate attorney but especially one that represents the government in criminal appellate matters.

"The Appellate Prosecutor is an anthology of essays on appellate practice, with a special emphasis on attorneys who represent the state on appeal in criminal law matters. Although this emphasis is pronounced in certain chapters, I think that most appellate attorneys, even defense-oriented appellate attorneys, will find something of value in the book. The chapters run the gamut of appellate practice, from protecting the record at trial to brief writing to oral advocacy to even how judges conference cases. The individual chapters were written by state appellate judges and state appellate prosecutors, and the volume was edited by Ronald H. Clark, a longtime state court prosecutor and Distinguished Practitioner in Residence at Seattle University School of Law. . ."

The full article can be read here.  The Appellate Prosecutor book can be purchased here.



No comments:

Post a Comment